Showing posts with label Tustin Hazardous Waste. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Tustin Hazardous Waste. Show all posts

Monday, January 25, 2016

Newport Beach Hazardous and Waste disposal information


Public Works Department
3300 Newport Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92663
Phone: 949-644-3311


The Public Works Department is responsible for construction activity within the City of Newport Beach's public rights-of-way. Permits are issued and inspected to ensure safety and quality are met for public safety. 
Encroachment Permits are issued for all types of construction in the public right-of-way and are different and separate from Building Permits. 
Temporary Street and Sidewalk Closure permits are issued for placing dumpsters, cranes, and / or reserving parking for your construction activities. Any construction within City property must have a state licensed contractor and an Encroachment Permit prior to performing any work. Fees charged for permits are from the City's Fee Schedule and are charged based on your scope of work. 

Types of Permits

  • Encroachment Permit - construction within the public right-of-way
  • Temporary Street Closure / Use Permit - placing a dumpster, crane, construction material, moving van, or similar item on a City owned street or sidewalk
  • Oceanfront Encroachment Permit - ocean facing properties requesting to construct and maintain patios extending onto the beach
  • Outside Dining Sidewalk Encroachment Permit - restaurants requesting to have dining tables, chairs, or benches on City sidewalk
  • Harbor dock and pier construction

Permit Resources

  • Construction Runoff Guidance Manual - understanding water quality requirements during construction
  • Encroachment Permit inspections - request an inspection no later than 4:00 p.m. the prior business day
  • Plan check status - view current status of a submitted plan check
  • Search permit history - search the City's database
  • Standard Drawings - City standards for construction within the public right-of-way
  • Street Moratorium - list of streets and alleys with construction moratoriums
Issuance of a Temporary Street Closure Permit allows for the private temporary use of Newport Beach CA public streets or sidewalks per Municipal Code 12.62.


If your construction project requires a crane to be placed on a City street a $1,000 deposit is required with your permit application. This deposit is held to ensure the protection of public property from damage. An inspection request should be made after the work is completed for a Public Works Inspector to check the location. The deposit will be processed if no damage occurred.


Any dumpster placed on public property requires the issuance of a Temporary Street Closure Permit. Commercial solid waste haulers must be franchised by the City per Municipal Code 12.63.030. It is important to note that dumpsters cannot be placed in alleys, red zones, or within 15 feet from any street corner. 

Material Storage

Construction materials may be stored on City property for a limited time. A permit is required for storage overnight or multiple days. All materials must be removed from public property as soon as possible. Some conditions for storing materials include the placement of reflective delineators for night-time visibility and Visqueen or heavy plastic underneath loose dirt or gravel with sandbags to prevent materials from entering the storm drain system. Additional conditions may apply to your situation. 

Moving Trucks and PODS 

Reserving street parking for your moving truck or the placement of PODS requires the posting of No Parking Signs as noted below. The time allowed for moving trucks and PODS is limited. 

Reserved Parking 

Holding a special event or moving? Make application for a Temporary Street Closure Permit to reserve parking for your limo, guests, or deliveries. 

No Parking Signs

If a condition of your permit is posting temporary "No Parking" signs our staff will prepare them with the permitted date and time of your event or use. Enforcement of the signs will require the applicant posting and notifying the Police Department Dispatch at least 72-hours in advance. Otherwise, towing will not be enforced. 

Restrictions on Public Property 

The City understands some areas are impacted with construction activity, but does not allow the following items to be stored or placed on public property, streets, or alleys: 
  • Construction office trailers
  • Port-a-potties 
  • Storage containers 
  • Trailers unhitched from its vehicle 

Applications and Resources

  • Application - Temporary Street and Sidewalk Closure Permit
  • Work Area Traffic Control Handbook (WATCH) - all traffic control within the City is per W.A.T.C.H.
General inquiries regarding Public Works permits


Residential refuse collection is a service provided to approximately 27,000 homes in the City of Newport Beach. The Refuse crew manually collects refuse each day. Collected material is transported to a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), where it is sorted for recyclables. 
The City is required by State law to recycle at least 50% of all trash generated. Both residential and commercial refuse is sorted for recyclables. The City of Newport Beach is currently in compliance with State recycling regulations. Additionally, construction and demolition projects generate a high volume of recyclable material that is counted towards the City's recycling rate.


Household Hazardous Waste must be handled and disposed of with care in order to avoid polluting the environment and possible health hazards.

The following items are considered household hazardous waste:

  • Aerosols (paint, cleaners, lubricants)
  • Antifreeze
  • Automotive Fluids
  • Auto polish & wax
  • Batteries (auto & household)
  • Cleaning Solution
  • Compact Fluorescent Light-bulbs (CFLs)
  • Cosmetics (nail polish & remover)
  • Electronic-Waste
  • Fertilizers
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Fluorescent lights
  • Furniture polish & wax
  • Herbicides
  • Mercury Thermometers
  • Motor Oil
  • Oil filters
  • Paint
  • Pesticides
  • Pool Supplies
  • Sharps/Needles 
*Please keep in mind that it is illegal to transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of HHW per trip (Department of Transportation requirement).
Also, don't forget to take advantage of the County's "Stop & Swap" program. The "Stop & Swap" program is available at the County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center and allows you to drop off any products that you might no longer need such as paint, fertilizers, and electronic waste.

Hazardous Waste Collection Centers

There are four convenient centers located throughout Orange County that accept residential toxic waste. All of the centers are open Tuesday-Saturday 9a.m.-3p.m. and are closed on rainy days and holidays. Note: proof of Orange County residency is required.
Irvine Regional HHW Center
6411 Oak Canyon (adjacent to the City of Irvine O.S.F.)
Anaheim Regional HHW Center
1071 N. Blue Gum Street
Huntington Beach Regional HHW Center
17121 Nichols Street
San Juan Capistrano Regional HHW Center
32250 La Pata Ave.
For more information on any of the aforementioned centers or materials accepted, please contact Integrated Waste Management directly at (714) 834 - 4000 or by visiting Click here to download a pdf about HHW from OC Landfills


The Integrated Waste Management Act requires jurisdictions to divert 50 percent of their waste in the year 2000. 
Jurisdictions select and implement the combination of waste prevention, reuse, recycling, and composting programs that best meet the needs of their community while achieving the diversion requirements of the Act. SB 1016, Wiggins, Chapter 343, Statutes of 2008 passed in 2008, introduced a per capita disposal measurement system that measures the 50 percent diversion requirement using a disposal measurement equivalent.

HVAC boot cleared of Asbestos in Los Angeles