by Tony Breton
- prevention of soil erosion and flooding
- carbon sequestration
- enhancement of biodiversity
- reduction in use of mineral fertilizers and pesticides, with subsequent prevention of related pollution.
- Countries where source-separation programmes are widely implemented and quality standards for products are developed - Austria, Belgium (Flanders), Germany, Switzerland, Spain (Catalonia), Italy, Sweden, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
- Countries where source separation is being implemented and quality standards are developed - Denmark, the UK, Norway and Belgium (Wallonia).
- Countries that are developing policy, and separation programmes are in their infancy - Ireland, France and Finland.
- Countries that have yet to develop policy or wide-scale separation programmes - Portugal, most parts of Spain, Greece, Slovenia, Hungary, Czech Republic.
FIGURE 2. Seasonal fluctuations in garden and food waste1. Adapted from G. Zanon & W. Giacetti (19/4/01) based on data from the PD1 district in Italy. Click here to enlarge image