Disposal of Hazardous Materials
Did you know?
- Many home, car and yard care products can't be thrown in the trash?
- Paint, used motor oil, and most cleaning products are considered to be "hazardous waste"?
- If these products are put in the landfill they can contaminate our groundwater?
STEPS YOU CAN TAKE
IT'S EASY AS 1 2 3
- Pack your unwanted home, yard and car care products into your car.
- Drive to the Household Hazardous Waste Center closest to you.
- Sit in your car and fill out a simple form while an attendant removes the unwanted products.
For more information about household hazardous waste and to find a disposal or recycle center near you, please visit Earth911 and enter your zip code.
- Automotive Products (antifreeze, motor oil, fluids)
- Batteries (home & car)
- Hobby supplies
- Household cleaners
- Paints (latex & oil)
- Paint products
- Personal care products
- Polishes and waxes
- Pool and spa chemicals
- Propane tanks from barbecues
- Unused road flares
- Wood preservatives
Not Accepted Materials
- Biological materials
- Business-generated materials
- Radioactive materials
- Compressed gas cylinders
Tuesday through Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Except for rainy days and major holidays: Independence, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day.
- ANAHEIM - Stop and Swap Location 1071 N. Blue Gum Street Between the 91 and 57 Freeways on the corner of La Palma and Blue Gum.
- Huntington Beach 17121 Nichols Street Between Beach Blvd. and Gothard Street off Warner Ave. at Rainbow Recycling and Disposal. Use Gate 6.
- Irvine - Stop and Swap Location 6411 Oak Canyon Between the 5 and 405 Freeways. Next to the City Corporate Yard and Animal Shelter.
- San Juan Capistrano Prima Descha Landfill From the 5 Freeway, Exit Ortega Highway, go east to La Pata, and turn right.
Stop and Swap
Visit the Stop and Swap! The Stop and Swap is a unique and free program that allows you to drop off household, yard, and car care products you no longer need and pick up others you can use. For more information about the household hazardous waste collection program and the Stop & Swap call 714-834-6752.
Transportation and Handling
A maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds may be transported per vehicle, per trip. This is a Department of Transportation Regulation.
- Materials should be in original containers (except motor oil, fuels and antifreeze).
- All containers must have lids, be sturdy, non-leaking, and protected from breakage.
- Do not combine types of waste.
- Do not mix oil-base paint with latex paint.
- Dry out empty paint cans and discard in regular trash.